TechYukon Information Technology Student Scholarship
What it is: The TechYukon student scholarship is for Yukon residents who take up a university level course of study in the field of information technology. The society wishes to encourage local youth to pursue careers in the IT industry, and to bring back the skills they acquire in the South to establish those careers in the Yukon.
Scholarship Amount: Between $500 to $1,000 annually, based on number of successful applicants and available funding. Applicants may reapply annually for not more than three years.
Who Qualifies: To qualify for this scholarship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a high school graduate.
- Have been a Yukon resident for not less than 12 months
- Be currently enrolled in a university undergraduate program or technology institute with a significant information technology component
- Be not older than 25 years of age.
- Have an expressed interest in returning to the Yukon during and after his/her course of study to follow a professional career.
Application Requirements: Applicants may apply by email or regular mail to TechYukon, providing the following information:
- Evidence of acceptance by the relevant university or technology institute.
- List of IT-related courses currently being studied or to be studied.
- Applicant’s Yukon residential addresses over the past 12 months.
- At least one reference from a previous teacher, employer, or IT professional known to the applicant.
- A brief description of the applicant’s areas of interest in the IT industry, and career ambitions.
When to Apply: Applications must be submitted to TechYukon not later than 5:00 pm, August 30, 2017.
How to Apply: Applicants can email their applications and scanned or photographed documents and references to [email protected]. They may also physically mail applications to:
TechYukon, Attention Executive Director
300-309 Strickland Street, Whitehorse, YT, Y1A 2J9
Decision Process: A TechYukon-appointed management team will assess all applications and award up to ten scholarships to applicants whose backgrounds, interests and career ambitions appear to them to offer the best chances of advancing the interests of the information technology industry in the Yukon. Applicants will be notified of the board’s decisions not later than then end of September 2017.
If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected], or call 867-689-1116.